The Campagnola winery, a family-managed activity for four generations, is situated in Valgatara, in the small town of Marano di Valpolicella, centre of the Classic Valpolicella zone. Carlo Campagnola founded the winery in 1886 and in 1907 he received his first official award (and the oldest official document) with a gold medal for the best “reccioto” wine at the “Mostra Campionaria di Verona”. Caterina, Carlo’s wife, was recently widowed and had ten children. Only a short time before, she had bravely began to run the winery, which, at time, was located at Gazzo di Purano in the district of Marano di Valpolicella. Giuseppe, one of the ten children of Caterina, managed the Antica Osteria Portoni Borsari in Verona, while his brothers took care of the winery and the vineyards. After the World War II, the tavern was sold and the land was divided up among the grandchildren. In 1946, Giuseppe with his sons Luigi and Giancarlo, founded the current winery, located in Via Agnella in Valgatara and began the production and selection of the Classici Veronesi Wines, and runs the newly renovated winery, has created a portfolio of wines not only from the Veneto but from regions as far a field as Puglia. His wines represent excellent value and quality. Despite already producing an excellent Amarone, Giuseppe decided to push the boundaries further and make a Cru of truly exceptional quality. This culminated in an Amarone of immense character and depth, which he named Caterina Zardini in honour of his late grandmother. This wine has firmly established itself as the jewel in the Campagnola portfolio and is consistently internationally awarded for its quality and character.
Light straw in colour. Rich honey, citrus and pear notes on the nose. The palate is dry, round and crisp with nice structure and suggestions of Granny Smith apple, pear and lemon tones. Medium bodied with good length.