In 1850 the family’s interests were established as a firm, which by 1925 concentrated on shipping its own wines rather than supplying them to the other shippers. At 600 to 750 metres above sea level, at Quinta Grande a new vineyard was planted in January 1995. Its 10 hectares (25 acres) constitute the largest single vineyard on the Island and it is also the first on Madeira to be mechanised. Henriques & Henriques is now the largest independent producer and shipper of Madeira Wines and the only Madeira House who owns vineyards. The company relies on the most recent technical innovations, keeping however the unbroken family tradition that has lasted for 500 years in the production of the finest Madeira wines.
Orangey/tawny colour. More oxidation here, with pepper and spice and caraway seeds, plenty of caramel and burnt citrus. On the palate this is quite rich and luscious, with a great creaminess to the texture. The palate has a food of burnt orange, with delightful walnut and almond softness and creaminess, and a piercing streak of fine lemon pith acidity.