In 1850 the family’s interests were established as a firm, which by 1925 concentrated on shipping its own wines rather than supplying them to the other shippers. At 600 to 750 metres above sea level, at Quinta Grande a new vineyard was planted in January 1995. Its 10 hectares (25 acres) constitute the largest single vineyard on the Island and it is also the first on Madeira to be mechanised. Henriques & Henriques is now the largest independent producer and shipper of Madeira Wines and the only Madeira House who owns vineyards. The company relies on the most recent technical innovations, keeping however the unbroken family tradition that has lasted for 500 years in the production of the finest Madeira wines.
Very pale tawny colour. Richly oxidised style, with raisins and plenty of walnutty character. On the palate there is a delicate sweetness, with dried apricot and fig notes, and a dry, tangy, very fresh citrussy acidity that leaves the finish tangy and dry. There is a slightly spirity quality, but it is a balanced wine.